The Battle Line
Welcome to The Battle Line, conversations on the collision of faith, community and culture. Join us for a fun look at the world around us through the lens of faith. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Soundcloud, Spotify, or Stitcher.
46. Commissioners Kenneth & Jolene Hodder. This week, The Battle Line team has the privilege of speaking with The Salvation Army’s National Leaders, Commissioners Kenneth and Jolene Hodder! They talk about officership, strengths of the Army, and much more.
45. FORGED: Youth Ministry Training Program. Dr. Brian Hull and Caleigh Smith join The Battle Line team for the first episode of 2023 to talk about FORGED! FORGED is a new youth ministry training program at Asbury University. Dr. Hull is the Associate Professor Pastoral and Christian Ministries. Caleigh Smith is an Adjunct Professor and a coach for FORGED.
44. Lt. Colonel Brian Davis Talks The Salvation Army Yearbook. This episode, the team is joined by self-proclaimed “Yearbook Nerd,” Lt. Colonel Brian Davis, to talk about The Salvation Army Yearbook.
43. The Salvation Army Boys & Girls Clubs. The Battle Line podcast is back! This week, the team is joined by Mark Jeffrey and Roberta Simmons-Smith to talk about the partnership between The Salvation Army and the Boys & Girls Club.
42. 8 Tips for Planning the Next Program Year. It’s the start of a new program year for The Salvation Army corps! To celebrate, The Battle Line team shares eight tips that may be helpful in your planning.
39. Colonel Kenneth Johnson Talks Commissioners Conference. This week, The Battle Line team is joined by Colonel Kenneth Johnson to talk about Commissioner Conference! Colonel Johnson is a fourth generation Salvationist and currently serves as the National Chief Secretary. In the discussion, he explains what Commissioner Conference is, how it works and so much more.
38. Fulton Hawk Talks Revolution Hawaii. This week, The Battle Line team highlights a ‘hidden jewel’ Salvation Army program and talks with Fulton Hawk, the Assistant Director of the Revolution Hawaii!
37. National Salvation Army Week. It’s National Salvation Army Week, the week dedicated to highlighting the programs of The Salvation Army. This week, the team talks about the history of National Salvation Army Week, the spiritual state of our culture and what we can do about it.
36. Celebrity Pastors, The Slap, & Pandemic Impacts. The Battle Line is a place where we have conversations on that collision of space between community, faith, and culture. This week, the team discusses three topics that are at the forefront of cultural relevancy and are relevant to faith and ministry.
35. Work at Camp! It’s the time to start thinking about what you’ll be doing this summer! Camp is the most evangelical thing we do in The Salvation Army. This week, The Battle Line team talks about the top ten reasons to work at camp. The Salvation Army hires summer staff to work as counselors, nurses, lifeguards, arts and crafts directors and much more! Working at a camp is an opportunity for a meaningful summer where you can make a difference in the lives of campers, while creating new friendships and memories.
34. Historic Humanitarian Crisis in Ukraine. The Battle Line team is back! This week, we talk about what The Salvation Army is doing in Eastern Europe to help the Ukrainian refugees. Plus, we share a few tips for talking about and dealing with anxiety.
33. Major George Baker Talks SAWSO. This week, The Battle Line team speaks with the National Secretary for The Salvation Army World Service Office (SAWSO), Major George Baker! Major George is a Western Territory officer who has recently served with his wife as the Divisional Commander of the South & Mid Wales Division. In the discussion, Major George explains what SAWSO does, breaks down misconceptions around SAWSO, and shares the importance of the work he and his team are doing.
32. Recognizing Redemption in Culture. All of culture tells the story of faith and redemption. Today, we explore famous scenes from movies and television that tell a story of faith and redemption without meaning to tell a story of faith and redemption. Like the website “Think Christian” says, “No such thing as secular.”
31. The General’s Visit. The Battle Line team is back together to discuss three things in culture that impact Millennials and Gen Z! We explore the General’s visit and the International Salvation Army, Grammys, and decline in college enrollment.
30. April Foster Talks Others – Trade for Hope. April Foster joins The Battle Line podcast team for the first episode of the new year! April is the Director of Others – Trade for Hope. She shares all about the origin story of Others, what “fair trade” and “sustainable growth” mean, success stories of how she has seen Others work, and so much more.
29. Greg Stier. This week, The Battle Line team is joined by Greg Stier, author and founder of Dare 2 Share Ministries! Greg has spoken at countless Salvation Army events and is relentless in spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world. In their discussion, Greg gives encouragement to listeners and talks about his new book, “Unlikely Fighter.”
28. SA Gaming. Gaming is a billion-dollar industry complete with it’s own sub-culture and lingo. The digital world is a new Open Air, and this week, we are talking to Zane Koehler from the Central Territory about a new ministry entitled SA Gaming.
27. Witches of TikTok. Where can we find the story of redemption in our culture today? Join The Battle Line team as we talk about the rise of WitchTok, why more Americans are reading the Bible during the pandemic and the three-legged stool of discipleship.
25. Pumpkin Bracket, Top Gen Z Restaurants, Devious Licks & The Jesus Music. Join The Battle Line team for a conversation about four places where faith and culture collided. We dive into the world of Pumpkin Spice, top restaurants according to Gen Z, Devious Licks and The Jesus Music documentary. Sit back and have a conversation with us!
24. Majors Paul & Alma Cain. This week, we are joined by Majors Paul and Alma Cain, the Directors of The Salvation Army Student Fellowship (SASF) at Asbury University located in Wilmore, Kentucky! In the discussion, Majors Cain share about their role with the SASF, student visitation weekend, “ring by spring” culture and much more.
23. Salvation Army Disaster Services. The Battle Line team is back! Join us for a conversation about how The Salvation Army is responding to disasters across the globe. We highlight the Army’s recovery efforts following the Haiti Earthquake and Hurricane Ida. We also explore the history of disaster services and what the Army is doing to provide relief to Afghanistan refugees.
22.Captains Emmanuel and Jennifer Masango. This week, The Battle Line team is joined by the new Territorial Youth Secretaries of the Western Territory, Captains Emmanuel and Jennifer Masango! In their discussion, Captains Masango talk about priorities for the Western Territory, their craziest stories in youth ministry and much more.
21. Back to School. It’s back to school season! To celebrate, join The Battle Line team for some fun as we talk about the end of summer, school memories and much more.
20. Katie Seifu Talks Echelon. This week, The Battle Line team is joined Katie Seifu, the National Echelon Manager and Logistical Coordinator for Advisory Organization Training! In the discussion Katie talks about what Echelon is, how it helps The Salvation Army achieve the mission, how to get involved and more.
19. Ed Covert Talks Summer Camp Ministry. This week, Ed Covert joins the team to talk about The Salvation Army summer camp ministry! Ed is the Camp Manager of Camp Redwood Glen in the Golden State Division and also is the National Camping Liaison for The Salvation Army. In the discussion, Ed shares about the importance of camp, his most memorable camp stories, Creation Care and much more.
18. Summer Camp. Join The Battle Line team for a conversation about summer camp and the camping ministries of The Salvation Army! We talk about campfires, traditions, conquering fears, relationships, camp songs and much more.
17. Captains Marc & Mariska Potters. This week, The Battle Line team is joined by the International Children and Youth Secretaries at International Headquarters (IHQ), Captains Marc & Mariska Potters! In their discussion, Captains Potters talk about their funniest stories in youth ministry, trends in The Salvation Army youth ministry worldwide, IHQ’s priorities for young people and much more.
16. Dad-Cast. Father’s Day is around the corner! In celebration, The Battle Line team explores the spiritual lessons we can learn from famous television and movie dads.
15. Heaven & Hell Misconceptions. Heaven and Hell stereotypes have been shaped by pop culture and not necessarily the Bible. This week, Captains Matt and Jamie Satterlee uncover three common misconceptions and explore how they look in the light of the Truth from God’s Word.
14. Youth Down South with Majors Tim and Cheryl Gilliam. This week, The Battle Line team is joined by Majors Tim and Cheryl Gilliam, Territorial Youth Secretaries from the Southern Territory! In their discussion, Majors Gilliam talk about the funniest thing that they have experienced in youth ministry, what is unique about the Southern Territory, how camp changes lives, their new plan for youth ministry, and much more.
13. Good Moms, Bad Moms & More. It’s almost Mother’s Day! In celebration, Captains Matt and Jamie Satterlee take a look at some of the most famous and infamous moms from TV and movies. We also talk about how COVID-19 has changed the conversation on moms and the workforce.
12. Colonels Kenneth & Paula Johnson Talk Salvation Army Moves. Each Spring, Salvation Army officers may get swept up in moving to new appointments in their respective Territories. There are a lot of questions about how the process works, and to pull back the curtain is the National Chief Secretary and National Secretary for Personnel, Colonels Kenneth and Paula Johnson.
11. Easter 2 Easter. Join The Battle Line team for a little fun with church culture when it comes to Easter! We talk about the funny things that happen at Easter including chocolate crosses, Peeps wars, Resurrection eggs, Easter clothes, SonRise Service, Easter bops and much more.
10. Saynetwork with Jim Sparks. The Battle Line team is joined by Jim Sparks, Territorial Director for Youth Ministries in the Western Territory! In their discussion, Jim talks about his funniest stories in youth ministry, what is unique about the Western Territory, the Saynetwork podcast and much more.
09. News You Can Use. Join The Battle Line team for a conversation about three recent places where faith and culture collided. Topics include sexual misconduct in Christian leaders, social media disagreement, and current streaming/ TV hits.
08. Central Youth Network. This week, Captain Mike Hanton and Captain AJ Zimmerman join The Battle Line team! Captain Mike serves as the Territorial Youth Secretary, and Captain AJ serves as the Territorial Assistant Youth Secretary. They talk about a new, exciting ministry called SA Gaming, camp memories, and what is going on among Millennials and Gen Z’ers living in the Midwest today.
07. Love, Dating & Relationships in Culture. We are coming to the close of the cuffing season, and Valentines Day is approaching. In celebration, The Battle Line team explores love, dating, and relationships in the culture.
06. Captains Jay & Leslie Knaggs Talk Booth Youth. The Battle Line podcast aims to deal with the faith and culture conversations that millennials and Gen Z battle in daily, and what better way than to explore these conversations than by going right to the leaders who interact in these areas the most. To kick off our interview series, we are joined by Captains Jay and Leslie Knaggs, Territorial Youth Secretaries of the Eastern Territory! They share their favorite camp memories, insight into Morning Online Discovery and Kids Five, and much more.
05. New Years Resolutions & Goal Setting. 2021 is here! Hallelujah! Here’s hoping that it will be a million times better than 2020. This week, The Battle Line team talks about New Year Resolutions and how to think through, set, and follow through on your resolutions and goals not only for 2021, but for everyday from here on out.
04. Fighting the Ugly 5. Loneliness, depression, anxiety, worry, and fear are at record highs among Millennials and Generation Z. This week, Captains Matt and Jamie Satterlee look at the problem and talk about trust, faith, and some solutions God has given us to help us.
03. Christmas Music. The holiday season is here! Join Captains Matt & Jamie Satterlee as they talk all things Christmas music and share how we can discover Biblical Truth in the songs on the radio we hear each holiday season.
01. Pop Culture Highlights of 2020. In the first episode of The Battle Line podcast, join Captains Matt & Jamie Satterlee for a look back at the cultural media highlights in 2020. They talk about what Biblical Truth we can find in “Bad Boys for Life,” “The Bachelorette,” “Blinding Lights,” and more.